International Students

International students on any type of visa are eligible for on-campus employment. Here is a quick step-by-step procedure for the employment process:

  1. Find on-campus employment through Gorillas4Hire and secure a position.
  2. Obtain a letter stating your employment from your supervisor.
  3. Take the letter to the International Office to obtain your work permit and a letter to the Social Security Administration stating you have secured employment.
  4. Take your birth certificate, work permit and letter to the Social Security Office (4102 South Arizona Avenue, Joplin, Missouri) to obtain a social security number and card.
  5. Once you have the receipt from the social security office, you may begin working, but you will not be paid until you receive your social security card.
  6. After you obtain your card in the mail, bring your social security card, work permit and a picture ID to 202 Horace Mann to complete the paperwork required for you to be on the payroll.
  7. It is advised that you also bring a deposit slip or voided check to sign up for direct deposit.
  8. Please be advised that an undergrad international student must be enrolled in a minimum of twelve (12) hours per semester to be employed on-campus.
  9. For further questions, please refer to the Student Employment Handbook.


Required Documents for Processing Payroll

Payroll will use these forms to verify your status for income tax-withholding purposes. Your paycheck will be delayed if these forms are not presented after obtaining employment and a social security card.

Permanent Residents

  • Permanent Resident or Resident Alien Card (Green Card)

Permanent Resident Applicants

  • A valid (unexpired) Employment Authorization Card
  • A letter from INS stating that your Permanent Residency application has been processed or Stamped Passport indicating "Processed for I-551"

F-1 Students:

  • I-94 Departure Record card
  • I-20 Certificate of Eligibility (F-1 Status)
  • A copy of US Visa from your passport
  • If student is on OPT: a valid Employment Authorization Card indicating "Practical Training"

J-1 Students:

  • I-94 Departure Record
  • DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility (J-1 status)
  • Letter from J-1 Responsible Officer authorizing employment
  • A copy of US Visa from your passport


Need help creating a resume or cover letter?

The Career Resource Center can help you create or revise a cover letter or resume to be used as application for on-campus employment, internships, or graduate school.

Visit us at 202 Horace Mann. Be sure to bring an electronic copy of a resume if you currently have one started, or something to save your newly created resume on.

Thank you to our Sponsors

Sponsor Caterpillar
Sponsor Kiewit
Sponsor Mpix
Sponsor Walmart
Sponsor Koch

Connect with Career Services